Lenses.io is a featured integration of Amazon MSK and can be installed on a EC2 instance with a Cloud Formation template.
Lenses is also available as an AMI and you can install on an EC2 instance and configure as a standard Linux application.
- AWS subscription
- MSK cluster with with Open Monitoring enabled
Follow the MSK instructions to enable Open Monitoring during the cluster creation.
Note down the Cluster ARN and Security group:
1) Select CloudFormation Template and Lenses - EC2 MSK as the delivery method.
Make sure you select the region your cluster is in.
2) Choose Launch CloudFormation as the action:
3) Continue with the default options for creating the stack in the AWS wizard.
At the Specify stack details, enter the following:
- Name for your Lenses deployment at the top
- InstanceType - Recommended t2.large
- SSHLocation - 0.0.0.0/0
- LensesLocation - 0.0.0.0/0
- Lenses license - the contents of the JSON license file
- AWS MSK ARN - From AWS MSK Console
- AWS Cluster Security Group - From AWS MSK Console
- Enable CloudWatch metrics
4) Review the stack:
5) Accept the terms and conditions and create the stack:
6) Once the stack has deployed, go to the Output tab and click on the FQDN link:
7) Login to Lenses with admin/ec-instance-name:
You can find the instance name in the resources tab of the Cloud Formation stack:
The template enables the following policies:
|LensesLicense||The Lenses license||string||yes|
|MSKClusterARN||The generated MSK Cluster ARN||string||yes|
|MSKSecurityGroup||The MSK security group in order to allow all traffic as inbound traffic to Lenses||string||no|
|SchemaRegistryURLs||A list of Schema Registry nodes||array||no|
|ConnectURLs||A list of all the Kafka Connect clusters||array||no|
Lenses adds to Amazon MSK:
- Data discovery
- Data security
- Data governance
- Data monitoring
- Data observability
- Data alerts