London, UK - March 30, 2019 Lenses v2.3 is now generally available
What’s New in 2.3¶
- New Views functionality for table based engine
- User Defined Aggregation Functions (UDAF) support
- New powerful Date Math expressions
- Continuous feedback on aggregated queries on the table based SQL engine.
- Support for HAVING syntax in the table based SQL engine
- Service metrics exposed via secured JMX connections are now supported
- Services metrics exposed via Jolokia are now supported
- Aggregations in topic live queries
- Stream Reactor release with new Hive Source and Hive Sink (with Parquet and ORC file format)
- Lenses uses Kafka 2.1 client libraries
- Avro date time fields are returned in a human readable value when SET format.timestamp=true is used
Cloud support in 2.3¶
Lenses supports all distributions of Apache Kafka newer than 0.11. We spent a lot of time with our partners to provide you with the best Cloud experience with this new release
- Aiven Managed Kafka
- Amazon Managed Kafka (MSK)
- Performance improvements for clusters with a large number of topics
- General performance improvements which lead to faster time loading the UI screens, better scaling on table based queries.
- Lenses CLI support for secrets for managing Kafka Connect via Vault (by Hashicorp) or KeyVault (Azure)
- SQL - In addition to YESTERDAY and TOMORROW functions, now you can also use NEXTWEEK, LASTWEEK, NEXTMONTH and LASTMONTH functions.
- SQL - Added UNIX_TIMESTAMP function, to converts a given date into the timestamp as a long.
- SQL - Added support for UUID types to Avro.
- SQL - SHOW USERS, SHOW GROUPS, DESCRIBE GROUP group functions are now supported.
- Better UX when topics have long names
- SQL studio screen allows for a table refresh (avoids refreshing the entire page)
- Use configuration to drive the SQL table engine default settings via lenses.sql.settings
- Better way to identify STRING payload format for Kafka topics
- Streaming SQL is using the replication.factor for the intermediary created topics
- The SQL studio screen was taking a long time to display the Kafka topics on clusters with large number of topics
- SQL streaming cast exception on primitive types
- Topic timestamp as human readable regression (_meta.timestamps > ‘2019-03-28 12:22:00’ is possible again)
- Tabled based SQL gives a proper error when comparing invalid types
- Creating topics via the SQL syntax and using decimal fields
- Alerts settings can be changed only by users in groups having AlertsWrite permission
- Insert data via the topics screen correctly errors on JSON storage format when the payload is not a valid JSON
- Tabled based SQL returns empty arrays
- Topology screen correctly resizes the details panel with browser window resize
- Dashboard under-replicated partitions value reflects the correct information
- Kafka Brokers service page list topics based on the user whitelist/blacklist settings.
- JMX metrics is not reachable is not showed on the Zookeeper status page when the information is actually available
- Adding consumer lag alerts forces the user to provide a group and topic as opposed to set them to undefined
- Principal field validation prevents setting an empty value when setting an ACL
- Updating a connector name the UI correctly changes to the newly updated connector page.
- Connectors page does not hide the re-balance tooltip behind the application header
- The connectors menu is highlighted correctly when the user is managing the connectors
- Data policies filter render correctly
- Audits page collapse button works correctly
- Schema compatibility was not updated correctly if the Update button was clicked within 500ms
- Topology can handle closed loop graphs
- Table based SQL in obscure scenarios was not correctly handling functions in the WHERE clause
- Managing the Kafka ACLs for TRANSACTIONAL_ID and IDEMPOTENT_WRITE resources
- Creating a topic with message.timestamp.type was returning an error
2.3.1 Patch Release¶
London, UK - April, 2019 Lenses v2.3.1 is now generally available
- High CPU usage when Lenses configuration does not include a Kafka Connect cluster (typical when you are not using Kafka Connect
to move data in and out of Kafka.)
2.3.2 Patch Release¶
London, UK - April, 2019 Lenses v2.3.2 is now generally available
- Data policies support for obfuscating numbers
- Showing the topic is compacted (regression)
- Obfuscation for Avro enum fields was not applied
- Inserting records via SQL errors when dealing with decimal fields
- Closed loops SQL processors were causing the UI to not render